Phoenix Theft Crime Attorney
Get Relentless Defense Against Your Theft Charges
Were you or a loved one arrested for theft? We understand the unique nature of these cases, and have the experience you need for an effective defense.
Choosing Our Firm Has Benefits - The attorneys at MayesTelles PLLC...
- Nearly 100 Years of Experience
- Are Available 24/7 to Take Your Calls
- Are Former Criminal Prosecutors
- Have Handled Thousands of Cases
- Offer Free Case Reviews
In the state of Arizona, theft crimes cover a wide range of offenses. Some are less serious and can be classified as misdemeanors or lesser felonies, such as shoplifting. More serious theft crimes like auto theft are felonies with harsher sentences.
At MayesTelles PLLC, we have a detailed understanding of Arizona theft laws and could skillfully defend you from any type of theft charge. Call us today if you are facing theft crime charges, including any of the following or a related offense:
Theft Defined: ARS 13-1802
Theft in the Arizona Revised Statutes is defined as willfully or knowingly depriving someone of their property, controlling that property with the intent to deprive, controlling property that is known to be stolen, and related acts.
There are various degrees of theft charges. The degree depends on the value of the items stolen, and in some cases, the manner in which they were stolen.
- Class 2 Felony – Theft of money or items valued at $25,000 or more
- Class 3 Felony – Theft of money or items valued at more than $4,000 but less than $25,000
- Class 4 Felony – Theft of money or items valued at more than $3,000 but less than $4,000
- Class 5 Felony – Theft of money or items valued at more than $2,000 but less than $3,000
- Class 6 Felony – Theft of money or items valued at more than $1,000 but less than $2,000
- Class 1 Misdemeanor – Theft of money or items valued at less than $1,000 (exceptions for cases of money or items stolen directly from the person of another, a firearm, or an animal stolen for animal fighting)
Get a Free Consultation
Were you or a loved one arrested for a theft crime? The attorneys at MayesTelles PLLC in Phoenix can review your case for free. Contact us to learn your legal rights and options!
CONTACT US TODAY
What is shoplifting? (A.R.S. §13-1805)
Arizona state law defines shoplifting as stealing merchandise from a shop by:
- Removing the item without paying
- Charging the price to a false identity or person without permission
- Paying less than the purchase price through tricks or deceit
- Moving the item from one container to another
If the value of the merchandise stolen is $2,000 or more or if the crime was linked to a street gang, it is a class 5 felony. If the value is between $1,000 and $2,000, or if the item was a firearm, it is a class 6 felony. An offense involving property valued less than $1,000 is charged as a class 1 misdemeanor.
Organized Retail Theft A.R.S. §13-1819
Organized retail theft is different from shoplifting, even though they are often confused. A person commits organized retail theft when they use any item to facilitate their shoplifting, such as a container or a crowbar. Organized retail theft also involves stealing merchandise with the intent of resale or trading. This offense is a class 4 felony.
Do you need a Phoenix theft crime lawyer? Call MayesTelles PLLC
Don't hesitate to consult with a defense attorney if you have been charged with a theft crime. At MayesTelles PLLC, our experienced legal team provides a free case evaluation and we can help you determine what legal action to take in your defense. We have handled numerous theft crime cases and could skillfully represent you and defend your rights in court.
Call (602) 428-7104 now to speak with a Phoenix theft crime attorney from MayesTelles PLLC.