MayesTelles PLLC represented an individual (“Mr. C”) who had been charged with Theft of a Means of Transportation, a class 3 felony, and Trafficking in Stolen Property, also a class 3 felony. Both class 3 felonies carry a possible sentencing range of 2 to 8.75 years in prison. We are proud to announce that we were able to get this reduced to a class 1 misdemeanor with no jail time.
Theft of Means of Transportation: ARS 13-1814
According to the Arizona Revised Statutes 13-1814, there are five ways to commit Theft of Means of Transportation – “means of transportation” here meaning any vehicle.
- Assuming control over a means of transportation with the purpose of permanently depriving the rightful owner of that property.
- Taking a vehicle that you had been authorized to borrow for a period longer than it had been entrusted to you.
- Using misrepresentations in order to take control of another person’s means of transportation.
- Coming into control of another person’s means of transportation after the vehicle became lost or misdelivered, and making no reasonable attempts to return the vehicle to its rightful owner.
- Controlling a means of transportation that you know or believe might be stolen.
Arizona theft statutes define “control” or “assuming control” as excluding someone from using their property (in this case, a vehicle).
Trafficking in Stolen Property: ARS 13-2307
Trafficking in Stolen Property is defined in the Arizona Revised Statutes 13-2307 as recklessly trafficking in stolen goods or planning, organizing, financing, or directing the theft of property and the trafficking therein. Some examples of trafficking in stolen property include:
- Theft of a credit card and using that credit card to make purchases without the cardholder’s permission
- Selling or attempting to sell property that has been stolen
- Trading stolen property for good or service
Criminal Defense Attorneys for Theft Offenses
If you or someone you love has been accused of theft-related offenses, we invite you to contact the Phoenix criminal defense lawyers at MayesTelles PLLC today. We are available 24/7 and offer free case evaluations so you can learn your legal rights and options.
*Please note, results depend upon factors unique to each case and that results in one case do not predict similar results in others.