MayesTelles PLLC represented an individual (“Mr. C”) who had been charged with Theft of a Means of Transportation, a class 3 felony, and Trafficking in Stolen Property, also a class 3 felony. Both class 3 felonies carry a possible sentencing range of 2 to 8.75 years in prison. We are proud to announce that we were able to get this reduced to a class 1 misdemeanor with no jail time.
Theft of Means of Transportation: ARS 13-1814
According to the Arizona Revised Statutes 13-1814, there are five ways to commit Theft of Means of Transportation – “means of transportation” here meaning any vehicle.
- Assuming control over a means of transportation with the purpose of permanently depriving the rightful owner of that property.
- Taking a vehicle that you had been authorized to borrow for a period longer than it had been entrusted to you.
- Using misrepresentations in order to take control of another person’s means of transportation.
- Coming into control of another person’s means of transportation after the vehicle became lost or misdelivered, and making no reasonable attempts to return the vehicle to its rightful owner.
- Controlling a means of transportation that you know or believe might be stolen.
Arizona theft statutes define “control” or “assuming control” as excluding someone from using their property (in this case, a vehicle).
Trafficking in Stolen Property: ARS 13-2307
Trafficking in Stolen Property is defined in the Arizona Revised Statutes 13-2307 as recklessly trafficking in stolen goods or planning, organizing, financing, or directing the theft of property and the trafficking therein. Some examples of trafficking in stolen property include:
- Theft of a credit card and using that credit card to make purchases without the cardholder’s permission
- Selling or attempting to sell property that has been stolen
- Trading stolen property for good or service
Criminal Defense Attorneys for Theft Offenses
If you or someone you love has been accused of theft related offenses, we invite you to contact the Phoenix criminal defense lawyers at MayesTelles PLLC today. We are available 24/7 and offer free case evaluations so you can learn your legal rights and options.
*Please note, results depend upon factors unique to each case and that results in one case do not predict similar results in others.