Narcotic Drug Attorneys in Phoenix
Facing Narcotic Drug Charges? Set up a Free Consultation
MayesTelles PLLC has years of experience helping the criminally accused in Phoenix. We have taken on countless narcotic drug cases and have seen success over and over again. With a former prosecutor on the team we are able to predict methods of prosecution and build a defense according. In a recent narcotic drug case, our client was facing a Felony 4 narcotic drug violation and after aggressive negotiations we had the case dismissed. You need us on your side to fight against the serious penalties on the line.
Call (602) 428-7104 for help in your drug case in Phoenix!
Types of Illegal Drugs in Arizona
Drug crimes of any kind are a serious offense in the United States. However, penalties vary depending on the type of illegal substance involved. Marijuana offenses and prescription drug crimes tend to be the least serious, yet they still incur felony convictions. Dangerous drugs are slightly more serious and result in more severe penalties, but drug crimes involving narcotics are usually the worst.
Defining Narcotic Drugs
The United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) defines narcotics as "opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes." However, substances such as cocaine, which is not opium-like, are considered to be narcotics according to the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. Below are three of the most common narcotic drugs found in the U.S. today.
- "Crack": A synthesized derivative of powered cocaine, "crack" is highly addictive and produces an immediate high when consumed. The most common form of use is by inhalation, since smoking the drug delivers a large dose of the drug through the user's lungs. The term comes from the crackling noise that occurs when the drug is heated for smoking. Crack is also simple to manufacture, making it one of the most affordable of all illegal substances.
- Cocaine: In powdered form, cocaine is a highly addictive stimulant drug that affects the central nervous system by increasing the level of dopamine, causing a sense of pleasure. Powdered cocaine can be smoked, snorted (inhaled), or injected after dissolution in water. Since cocaine is so addictive, it is commonly involved in cases of fatal overdose.
- Heroin: Synthesized from morphine (a substance extracted from opium poppy plants), heroin is a highly addictive opioid that was initially used as a medicinal painkiller until its addictive qualities were discovered. It is usually administered via injection, but can also be snorted or smoked. Once it enters the brain, it induces a sense of euphoria and inhibits the ability to feel pain. Heroin overdose is also one of the more common cases of drug-related fatalities.
Narcotic Drug Penalties
As found in the Arizona Revised Statutes (2011) §13-3408, a drug crime involving narcotics is a felony. The specific classifications and penalties are as follows:
- Possession: Class 4 felony, 1.5 to 3 years in prison
- Obtaining narcotics through deceit or fraud: Class 3 felony, 2.5 to 7 years in prison
- Possession for sale, manufacturing, or administration of narcotics: Class 2 felony, 4 to 10 years in prison
Although most charges of narcotic drug crimes are valid, there are many cases where a person may be falsely charged with such a crime or may be facing too harsh of a sentence. Looking for an attorney for a drug crime in Phoenix? If you have been arrested for a narcotic drug crime, consult with a Phoenix drug attorney immediately to discuss your options and start building a strong defense.
Do You Need a Phoenix Drug Crime Lawyer? Call (602) 892-3348!
At MayesTelles PLLC, each of our attorneys is dedicated to providing aggressive and quality representation for each and every client. We understand the gravity of drug charges and will fight relentlessly to have your charges reduced or dismissed. Our team has experience in trial cases as well as prosecution and, with such knowledge and insight, could stay one step ahead of the prosecution in your case.
Our firm offers a free initial consultation, as well as flexible payment plans.